If you are a brownie lover of any kind, this recipe is for you. These two bite brownies are particularly great for all of these summer cookout situations we have coming up. When it comes to brownies, I’m a purist (meaning I don’t care for frosting on them), but because they are made in a muffin tin, this also makes them extremely versatile for decorating! And who doesn’t love individualized desserts? It helps draw clear lines about portion sizes so no one fights over the biggest one (looking at my kids), plus they’re adorable 🙂
These brownies are also fantastic for whipping up when you need something fast. They only take 12-14 minutes to bake (depending on how gooey you like them) and the ingredients are simple and minimal. They’re gluten and easily dairy free to boot so you and your friends or family with those allergens can rest easy knowing they’re getting a delicious dessert and aren’t missing out on anything!
- 2/3 cup gluten free flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour. Just make sure your blend contains xanthan gum)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick butter (or vegan butter), melted
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips or vegan chocolate chips (I use a mix of semi-sweet mini chips and semi-sweet regular chips)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips or vegan mini chocolate chips, reserved for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place 12 muffin liners into a muffin tin and spray with nonstick spray.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together 2/3 cup gluten free flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon fine salt.
- Melt the butter for 30 seconds in the microwave and set aside to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk 2 eggs and 3/4 cup brown sugar very well until foamy on top (about 30 seconds). Stir in 1 stick of melted butter (make sure it has cooled before adding).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed and no dry patches remain. Add 3/4 cup chocolate chips to the batter and stir just until incorporated.
- Using a spoon, large cookie scoop (my personal choice), or 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups filling just a bit more than halfway. Sprinkle the reserved 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips on top of the brownies.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. They will look underdone in the centers but will set up once they cool.
Muffin tin: If you use a silicon muffin tin, you may need to add a minute or two of time.
Freezing: To freeze, cool completely and place into a gallon-sized zip top freezer safe bag or container, remove as much air as possible, and freeze for up to two months. To thaw, place on the counter until completely thawed or warm in the microwave for 30 seconds.