Every Friday is “family night movie night” at our house and for me that equals “mom makes us a dessert night.” That is not a complaint in the slightest. It has actually become the day that I test dessert recipes and I have so much fun with it! The kitchen is my happy place, so testing recipes (especially desserts!) makes me one gleeful girl! The reason I like testing desserts so much is because I can just about guarantee everyone in the family is going to love it (and, let’s be honest, who doesn’t love it when someone raves about your food?). It’s totally better than sitting down a plate in front of my toddler and hearing him exclaim “I don’t like it!” for the 37th time before he’s even tasted it. For dessert the whole session is a reward. From developing the recipe, shooting the pictures, to the tasting, it’s a delight and it makes me happy to see the smiles on my family’s face when I call everyone into the kitchen to see what our Friday night dessert will be! Now that I have this space, I get to share those recipes with you all, and knowing that you make them and enjoy them is a joy to my heart as well!
I do hope you’ll try this recipe! If you make this (or any of my recipes) and are inspired, please tag me in your Instagram pictures or stories! @lizlaughlovefood on Instagram or Liz Laugh Love Food on my Facebook page.
Blueberry Basil Galette with Marscarpone Creme
- 1 generous cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour (I always use Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 baking flour)
- Zest of one lemon (save a little for the garnish)
- Egg wash (1 tbsp water + one egg whisked)
- Turbinado or Morena Sugar for crust edges (can use regular granulated sugar as well)
- 1-2 tbsp Fresh basil (chopped or julienned if leaves are large)
- Whipped Marscarpone Creme for topping (see below for recipe)
- Defrost puff pastry according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or parchment and lay the puff pastry sheet down flat
- Toss flour, honey, lemon zest and lemon juice with blueberries gently until combined
- pour the blueberry mixture piled into the center of the puff pastry and roughly crimp up the edges of the pastry around the blueberries like you’re making a bowl around them. This doesn’t have to be pretty and it turns out different each time 🙂
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes checking it after the 25 minute mark (everyone’s oven bakes differently. We are just looking for nicely browned edges and bottom)
- Meanwhile make the marscarpone creme.
- After pulling out your galette, let it cool for 10 minutes, top with marscarpone creme, basil, and lemon zest. Cut into pieces and serve (topped with extra marscarpone creme and fresh blueberries is how I like mine ;))
For Whipped Marscarpone Creme:
- 8oz or 1 cup marscarpone
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
In a stand mixer or handheld mixer, beat the marscarpone until creamy (about 20 seconds), add powdered sugar and beat on low until incorporated. With the mixer running on medium high, pour in heavy cream and beat another 20 seconds or until it looks fluffy. If it’s too thick for your liking add heavy cream 1 tbsp at a time until it’s how you’d like it.
Notes and Variations:
Don’t want to make Marscarpone Creme? Top with whipped cream (canned, tub, homemade) or vanilla ice cream instead.
Instead of the marscarpone creme, try it with Ricotta cheese
Instead of the marscarpone creme, try sprinkling on a little goat cheese